The history of Wade’s Foods dates back to more than seventy years ago when the first store was set up in Alum Ridge, Va. in the year 1925. Elinor and Haden Wade were the owners and operators of the store until 1940. In 1940, the Wades and two of their kids, Freda and Lowell relocated to Christiansburg and left the store’s management and operations to Mr. Dennis Dulaney. Between 1940 and 1950, Elinor and Haden pursued different business interests. Some of the businesses included operation of a furniture store and a small-sized restaurant. The Wades went back to the grocery business in 1950 with the establishment of Wade’s Supermarket in Christiansburg, 305 Roanoke Street.
Mr. and Mrs. Wade and their son, Lowell opened Wade’s Supermarket in Dublin in the year 1962. The Christiansburg store moved to 510 Roanoke Street in 1968 and expanded the services offered to include deli services. Wade’s Foods has expanded to four supermarkets under the leadership of Lowell Wade, as well as the consistent support of his Mother Elinor, until her death in 1994. The company also has 15 convenience stores across New River Valley. Because of the fact that Wade’s is a family owned, local business, it has managed to adapt to the needs of its customers.
Headquarters: 510 Roanoke Street, Christiansburg, Virginia
Ownership: Family Ownership
Number of Stores: 4 Supermarkets, 15 Convenience Stores
Geography: New River Valley, Radford, Christiansburg, Dublin, Radford, Pearisburg
Number of Employees: Just under 500
Demography: Value shoppers, green and organic shoppers
Special Services: Deli, Floral and Wedding Services