The Number of Daily Servings to Have
Six or more servings should be chosen daily for all age groups and up to twelve servings for active individuals. Another factor to consider is body size. Younger and small sized children, aged between five and thirteen require less servings compared to older children. Similarly, men, teenage boys, and older men require more servings compared to women or girls. Majority of men need approximately eight servings daily while most women require six servings.
The Types of Food to Eat
Starchy foods that are rich in fiber are the healthiest. Most starchy foods have a version with high fiber content. It is advisable to try out whole meal pasta, wholegrain bread and brown rice instead of white pasta, white bread and white pasta. Baked potatoes consumed with their skins and wholegrain breakfast cereals are also rich in fiber.
What a Serving Is
The serving listed in the food pyramid may be smaller or bigger than the actual portion that a person eats. For instance, a sandwich made of two slices of bread is equal to two servings.
One serving includes:
- 2-3 crisp breads or crackers
- 1 slice of wholegrain soda bread or brown sliced bread
- Half cup dry porridge oats
- 1/3 cup flake type high fiber breakfast cereal
- Half cup muesli, without honey coating or sugar
- 2 breakfast cereal with oat biscuits or wheat
- Half cup of mashed potatoes
- 2 small or one medium potato
- 1 cup of plantain or yam
- Half a cup boiled rice, pasta, or noodles