Commissioner Darrell Aubertine of New York issued an alert last June 15 regarding specific Queso Fresco, or fresh cheese, products distributed by Quesos Centro Americano Corporation. The recall was issued because of a possibility of bacterial contamination on the cheeses.
The possible contamination was discovered after results of a routine sampling test showed the presence of Staphylococcus aureus in high levels. The company was then notified of this incident, which led to it announcing a voluntary recall for its product.
The recalled Spanish-style cheeses were sold in foil tray retailer packages, each weighing five pounds. A plant number 36-9845 is indicated on the product label, as well as lot code 5/31/2011, which is printed on the label’s bottom part. The manufacturer’s name is also printed on the product label.
Staphylococcus aureus is one of the harmful types of bacteria that contaminate food. Food poisoning caused by this bacteria show symptoms such as nausea, retching, prostration, muscle cramps, vomiting, abdominal cramps, muscle cramps, and temporary changes in pulse and blood pressure. Everyone is susceptible, however incidents of death have been rare. Deaths that have occurred because of this bacteria however, are mostly those who have weak immune systems like infants, elderly people or those who have existing medical conditions. No health related problems were connected to this recall.
The recalled Spanish-style cheeses were distributed mostly in retail stores, restaurants and delis in Long Island, New York. Consumers who have bought the said cheeses are advised to either discard it or return it to the store they purchased it from.